Sunday, April 25, 2010

Happy Easter!

I was so impressed with Gavin this year. The Monday before Easter Sunday, we had Family Home Evening about the events leading up to the Resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Gavin knew a lot about the Saviors life. We talked about the atonement, the crucifiction, and the tomb. I got visual aids to help the boys remember what certain things meant. Example... I got a nail that symbolized the nails that went into Jesus' hands and feet, a white cloth symbolizing the cloth laid on him in the tomb, an egg, a rock that symbolizes the door to the tomb, flowers that represent new life. It really helped the boys to understand it just a little bit more.

Then, of course, on Easter, the Easter bunny came. I read a friends blog, and she said that the Easter bunny comes to their house on the Saturday before Easter. I really like that idea. That way we can spend the whole day on Sunday thinking about the Savior. Anyway, the kids got lots of candy, coloring books, new crayons, sand toys for their sand box, etc. It was a fun couple of days! The best part of the whole thing was Mac's mom was here to spend Easter with us. We had so much fun with her. The boys were on their spring break while she was here so they got to go downstairs in the mornings and spend a while cuddling. Have family far away is hard, but when they come and visit, we make up for lost time!





2 comments:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Cute post. I've been reading about the "Easter bunny on Saturday" thing for years, and have thought about it, but Lou just won't go for it. There are just some traditions he is not willing to let go of. What we do is, we have a family Easter devotional BEFORE we do the easter basket thing, to start off the day remembering WHY we celebrate Easter in the first place. We also did another one before our Easter dinner. I think it's okay to do the basket thing on the Sunday, as long as you do other things to keep the day Christ-centered. The way I see it is, I don't ever read about anyone opening all their Christmas presents the day before Christmas so that they can focus more on Christ on Christmas, so why is this all the rage for Easter? I'm not saying it's not a good idea - I just don't get why people do it for one holiday and not the other. Okay, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop... :)

Anonymous said...

Gavin looks a TON like Miss right here. It is almost an exact look alike from when she was younger. Do you think so?
Karen