Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas with the Tolboes

A lot has happened since I last posted so I decided to post random pictures of Christmas time at the Tolboes:



We decided this year to buy a real tree. When we brought it home, McKay cut off a lot of branches and I decided to make a wreath. I had never done this before but it was easier than I thought.



Our ward party was pretty fun this year. Santa came, of course. The primary children did the nativity and then sang songs. We as a ward sang "The 12 days of Christmas" together and each table stood up when it was their turn to sing one of the days. It was really fun.


One of my good friends held a cookie exchange at her home. I made some "Cinnabon popcorn". I found from a website called "Our Best Bites". If you get a chance, look at it. It is run by 2 mormon women. I have tried a lot of their recipes and not one has failed me yet. I am so hooked on this website. I recommend it to everyone!


When Joshua came home from preschool on Thursday of last week, he brought home "puppy". Puppy is passed around to homes of each child in Joshua's class. Puppy has his own journal so we can update what Joshua does with him. When I showed Joshua "puppy" he hugged him and kissed him and put him down next to him to read to him. He is going to have a fun week with puppy.



Gavin had his christmas party at his school too. They ate goodies, decorated cookies and playede "pin the hat on the snowman". The kids had lots of fun!


A few years ago, a friends introduced me to jewelry making. I wasn't much into it, so I stashed it away not really having a desire to get into it. Just recently, I came across it and started doing some stuff with it. I spent hours on it. It was so fun. I went and bought the tools and different things I would need to get started and... voila! I made a necklace and earrings for christmas. I was so proud of myself.





A week ago, a snow blizzard hit Northern Virginia. The news estimated 20 inches of snow. It started snowing last Friday night and didn't stop until Sunday morning. We got 20+ inches of snow! We were snowed in. They canceled church, they canceled the three days of school before Christmas break, and we didn't have a snow shovel. Saturday night, McKay bundled up and took a hike to our nearest grocery store. Sunday, we all went out and played in the snow and McKay and I shoveled the walks and the driveway and to get McKay's car out of the road. What a mess. It worked. Yesterday it rained all day so most of the snow is now gone.

Christmas Eve was fun. After Law school, a lot of our friends moved here. Some of our friends hosted a Christmas Eve party at their home. We had so much fun catching up with them and others who came. I didn't take pictures because I forgot. Anyway, when we returned home, Gavin and Josh were able to open one gift each... pajamas. Gavin is huge into transformers so he got transformer pajamas. Joshua got bears. They each were able to open an ornament too. They were so excited.





Christmas day was a blast. We woke up and Gavin went downstairs and yelled that Santa had come. We got up and went downstairs. We opened gifts. Gavin got two transformers, Optimus Prime and Bumble Bee. Joshua got a wooden train that comes apart and lots of little people toys. Mac got a watch and pajama bottoms and a red shirt. I got a cricut machine. We had a fun Christmas to say the least!


Because we had ham left over from Christmas day, I decided to show the boys Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. I also made it for them. They ate all of it. My kids don't like eggs but they liked that it was green. What a fun Christmas week we had here. It is sure hard to be away from family this time of year but my parents got their Skype hooked up so were able to talk with my family via computer along with McKay's parents. It was great to be there somewhat and to enjoy watching them enjoy Christmas.

We wish you all a great and happy New Year.

4 comments:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

#1) - yay, real trees!
#2) -okay, so I know you hate snow, but weren't you just a little excited to have snow at Christmas time, and to have an excuse to stay inside and drink hot cocoa? :)
#3) - I have gotten more into the whole jewelry making thing, too - it's a lot of fun. I've even made earringas as gifts for my family!

Karen Feld said...

So cute lips! Gavin looks cute in his little glasses. I love the pic of Josh with the puppy. Every time I see him smile my heart melts. I miss that little guy!

queeniejeanne said...

Your necklace and earrings turned out way cute. Loved the pictures of the boys, but I missed seeing pics of you. I know, Mom is the one TAKING the pics. Miss you mucho, but feel good about where you are. You all are in my prayers everyday. love, Babo

Unknown said...

What a fun Christmas!! I assume you stayed in VA? That is great!! We really love having our own Christmas morning. Gavin and Josh look so big, they are just darling. I love your green eggs and ham too!! Oh and your jewelry looks awesome and so did you wreath. How fun!!