Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life is so unpredictable

I have had the privilege of have some really good friends here in Springfield ... and they are all my age. We had planned a night out to have dinner before the womens broadcast on Saturday. What was planned to be a night of fun and laughter, turned out to be a night of sadness and a lot of emotion. We have a really good friend who went into labor Saturday morning. When the baby boy (Scott) was born, he wasn't breathing. They immediately started working on getting him to breath. When the girls and I got together that night to go out and have fun, we were told that the baby was not doing well. We decided to skip the womens broadcast and visit our friend in the hospital. When we got to the hospital, the baby was being transported to Childrens hospital in DC. The dad was going with the baby and the mom was staying here in Springfield. My friends and I decided to clean their house for them. One of our friends took the kids home with them (they have three other children) and the rest of us cleaned. We waited to hear news about the baby. The bishop called and asked if any of us would drive the mom and kids to DC to say good bye to baby Scott. He wasn't doing well. Two of my friends went and said that the family got together and explained that baby Scott was going back to live with Heavenly Father again. They said that the kids had so many questions and yet they were at peace with the decision. My two friends took the kids back to their homes so the parents could say their last goodbyes. Baby Scott passed away early Sunday morning. This family is so amazing. I have learned a lot from this experience. I have learned that life is so unpredictable. You don't know what is going to happen. This family was expecting for a baby to go home with them. Instead, they went home alone. How hard. But Heavenly Father will not give us trials that we can't handle. I went and saw the mother of this precious, perfect baby today and she was doing great. She said that this is easier than she thought. She was given a blessing and said she is amazed at how well she is doing! What a sister of faith!

On Sunday, we had fast and testimony meeting. Kendall (the father) was there with his oldest daughter. That morning, Kendall asked her if she wanted to go to church. She said that just because you don't feel like going to church, doesn't mean you shouldn't go ... she is 8. What faith! Kendall bore his testimony. He bore his testimony on how real the plan of Salvation is. Scott just needed a body. He was too perfect to live in this imperfect world. Kendall's faith in the Savior and in the gospel amazed me and strengthened me. There was not one dry eye in the chapel. There was a spirit there that was unbelievable and unforgettable.

4 comments:

Verity said...

Thanks for sharing this, Linda!!! I'm thankful you were there to help Rachel, and I'm so thankful for the friendship we all share in this ward.

Steve, Maggie, Janie said...

hey! I'm glad that we're friends. I'm so grateful for you girls! Hope you're having a good week.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Wow...I can't even imagine what that must be like. I'm so glad you were there to help. I will say, though, that you and the other women who are her friends need to be prepared to be a great support to this sister. She may seem very calm now, but there is a good chance that she is also still in shock and hasn't fully realized what has happened. The hard part may come at the funeral or after it's all over, when the reality of it all sets in. Either way, she is lucky to have a friend like you...

Rachel said...

My heart goes out to this family! Your friend will certainly value the love and support of her ward family and friends for a long time to come. I'm glad you all have such wonderful support. It makes a huge difference! Trust me--her feelings and emotions will shift so often that she will cherish having true friends.