It is so fun being pregnant... NOT! I remember being pregnant with Gavin and carrying the tums around in my purse. I remember having to eat every couple of hours, didn't really feel pregnant at all. I had heard horror stories of other women being so sick that they had to get IV treatments just to stay hydrated. I often thought to myself, "Am I really pregnant?" I didn't even start showing with him until 15 weeks.
Joshua was a little bit different. I was more sick with him but it wasn't until evening when I would find myself grabbing crackers and having to go to be at 9 due to nausea. Days were fine with him. At first I remember the days being hard but not too bad. The sickness with him lasted until I was 12 weeks pregnant.
This one is a different story. I found out I was pregnant on Feb 22. That was a Tuesday. That Sunday I woke up to not being able to get out of bed. Mac got me crackers and I would just suck in them hoping that I wouldn't throw up. I slowly would get out of bed and sit there until the feeling would lessen. I got up, ate breakfast and went back to bed. I felt horrible. I was only 4 weeks pregnant. About 2 weeks later, the feeling was still there. The morning snack would be a little bit of protein instead of just crackers. That helped a little bit. I called my boss and told her I needed to take 2 weeks off to see how I could handle this pregnancy. She was more than understanding!
I had heard of different women being on meds while pregnant but I didn't want to be one of them. I had never had to be on them with the boys... why now? I posted a status on facebook asking women to give me suggestions on what helped them during pregnancy. Some of them said things like, 'Ginger Ale, ginger, candies to suck on, flat soda, crackers'. I had tried all of those but once I was done eating, I would have a bad taste in my mouth that made me even more nauseated so I had to keep something in my mouth at all times. Some of the ladies mentioned Unisom and a Vit B6before bedtime. Bedtime was fine for me. I could sleep all night... it was the being awake part that I couldn't handle. Then, a friend of mine mentioned Zofran. This drug has been around for years. Many pregnant women have taken it... many babies have been born healthy. SO, I did some research. I have a friend in Utah who took it with her two children. I asked her about it. Her mom is a nurse and was part of the OB/GYN group at the hospital for 16 + years, so I asked her about it. I looked online, I asked my doctor and other doctors. I even called the pharmacist and asked him.
My time came to see my OB for my first appointment. She asked me how the nausea was and I told her!!! She told me about Zofran. I asked her lots of questions. She said she has prescribed it to many women and it is very safe. I was reluctant to fill the prescription. I didn't want my taking Zofran to be the cause of something happening to my baby. I would never forgive myself. I asked my friend in Utah again to calm my nerves. She was so understanding and so helpful. I still was reluctant. The next day, I went to work. I almost threw up at the ladies home. I had to sit down to take her blood pressure. I was so sick. Mac and I had a long talk about it when I got home and we agreed that the doctor knows what she is doing and she wouldn't prescribe me something that would harm the baby. I then prayed about it. I felt ok about taking it. So, I filled it. I took it. I felt better. I was able to work and take care of my family. Before taking Zofran, I was glued to the couch!
There are some days that I don't have to take Zofran. Other days are worse. I am just so glad that I did my research and felt better about having to take it.
This pregnancy is so different from the boys. I am showing already and I am only 9 weeks. Crazy. I am writing this post because in 2 or 3 years when I am baby hungry again, I want to look back and read this. Hopefully this will help me to change my mind! ha ha
4 comments:
Zofran is really the only way I survive! Three out of four have required it, and still I end up getting IV hydration, but at least I can function most days!! I'm so, so sorry you are sick. I can totally feel for you. I just keep thinking I get to experience this so I have more sympathy and compassion for other women who go through the same thing. I totally understand how you feel. It makes me want to cry for you!! Hang in there. The bright side is that no matter what, in 7 months you'll feel way better!!!! ;)
Begin sick totally sucks the fun out of pregnancy. I am so glad you are feeling better!
Simon and Avari are both Zofranie babies!!! Stop taking the drug NOW!.............Just kidding...........they turned out okay, right???? Hahahah. Congrats on the baby, wish I was there to see all the babies. Who else, Heidi, you, ??????
I hope you get feeling better!! My sister did Zofran with her kids because she was so sick and they all turned out great!!
I love the last part about how you will want to read this if you start getting baby hungry in 2-3 years. The funny thing is that some how we forget all of that when "baby fever" starts!!
I love your family picture and the picture of the boy's.
We also have a blog but it is private because of Jim's job. IF you would like access just send me your e-mail and I will give you access :)
Post a Comment