Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy New Year! (and our Christmas card)

It has been a while since I have posted. I have been working so much and haven't had time to do much but work and tend to my family. It has been a hard few months but things are hopefully looking up.

First of all, we want to wish you all a very Happy New Year. Because I have had no time for anything, I didn't get a chance to get christmas cards out. I feel so bad but I figure better late than never, right?

2010 started off hard for us. McKay was laid off his job at a firm in DC. It has been hard with the economy to find another job. Thanks to good friends, he found a job working from home. He currently works for a company called Avalara. He does tax law from the comfort of his own bedroom. He has a 3 second commute. This is so much better than his 30 minute commute. This is not at all what he wants to be doing but it is a job for the time being. He is currently looking for more stable jobs. For now, he gets the boys up and off to school and then gets to work. Hopefully 2011 will provide us with more job opportunities. McKay is currently serving as the Ward Mission Leader in our ward.

Since McKay has been working from home, I decided to go back to work. I work for a company called Portamedic which performs exams on applicants applying for life insurance. I schedule my own hours so I can be home when the boys get home from school. This has been great for me to keep my skills up and also handle my family. I have one day off a week so I can get stuff done. I just got a new calling in the Primary as a teacher. It was great serving in the RS presidency but it is nice to have a little break.

Gavin started 1st Grade at Orange Hunt Elementary. He likes his teacher, Mrs. Ackerman. Gavin has lost 2 of his bottom teeth this past fall. He is awaiting the loss of his two front teeth! He loves being 6 and constantly talks about being able to be baptized in 2 years. He is growing and growing. He LOVES his little brother, Joshua. The Lord knew what he was doing when he put both of them in the same family. They are so good together!

Joshua is a little firecracker. He has a temper! His temper tantrums last longer than Gavin's ever did. He is so stubborn. Don't get me wrong, he is a good kid, but when he doesn't get what he wants, he goes crazy! Yes, he gets that from his mother!! Anyway, Joshua is doing very well. He had 2 surgeries in 2010. The first one was in July. He had a hernia that had to be repaired. That was outpatient, and he did very well. The second surgery was in August. This was a big one. He had to have his back opened again because his spine was tethered. Tethering of the spine is when scare tissue gets wrapped around nerves. They had to cut the scare tissue away. What they did find was a good rectal nerve. Joshua has not been able to have a bowel movement on his own. Since they cut away the scare tissue from this nerve, he has been able to! No more miralax for this little boy!! As far as school goes, he is doing very well. He loves it. He rides the bus to school all by himself and lets us know every day that he has school tomorrow! He absolutely loves his teachers. We do too. They are great!

We had our family pictures taken in 2010. A friend of our was so kind to do them for us. Have a great 2011!

Love,

The Tolboes













3 comments:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Those pictures are beautiful! As Gavin gets older, I see more and more of McKay in him. About Josh's temper tantrums, isn't it amazing how different our kids can be from one another? I've seen that sooo much between my two girls. Josephine is was more emotional, but Maria is the one who throws a fit when she can't get her way. Anyhow, thanks for sharing the cute pics - everyone look great!!

Unknown said...

What handsome young men!! I love the picture of Gavin. His eye's are soo blue! Your family picture is just darling and you just can't look at Josh with out smiling!!! Darling pictures!

Verity said...

What beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!! We miss you guys!