Man, this little boy is the highlight of our lives. When I say "our lives" that includes Gavin too. Gavin just adores Josh. Anyway, Josh's physical therapist wants to get him walking soon. He still has low tone in his upper body so she decided to try something that would hold on to him until he was ready to hold onto it. He just looks so cute in this and he seemed to take a liking to it right away. He does move his feet but it is more of a heel - heel walk them a heel-ball-toe. Oh well.. he will get there.
This little man in on the move. He just learned to climb up stairs (like you saw on a recent post). He has now taught himself to climb down stairs the right way. He taught himself. We had nothing to do with it... well, I take that back. I think Gavin was going down on his tummy so many times that Josh felt like he would like to do that. He did it and is so careful. It is so cute to watch him!
Also, we went to the urologist the other day to do what's called a urodynamic test. This is where the nurse fills up Josh's bladder, using a catheter, to see how many cc's of water he can hold before the water starts leaking out of the catheter. Josh doesn't pee like normal kids. His bladder spasms which means he rarely urinates in a stream. It is little pulses of urine coming out. This can ruin the bladder over time. The wonderful urologist put him on a medication to relax the bladder and become a bladder like you and I have. The down side to this is that we have to catheterize him again... 4 times a day. It is hard because we can't stay out all day anymore. We have to come home every 4 hours. The medication will allow him to stay dry and when he become a big boy, he can wear underwear. You don't know how grateful I was to whoever developed this medication because when he is old enough to go to school, he can feel normal.
The catheterizing has been going on for 2 weeks now and I am getting used to it. Josh's personality allows him to have this type of defect. He is so calm and easy- going that he could care less that I am catheterizing him. He actually laughs right before I put in the catheter. What a trooper. I love this little guy. He has brought so much joy into our family. I couldn't imagine my life without him.
He has to have surgery again... very minor. The doctor found a hernia in his scrotum. The surgery will be soon but we will keep you up to date on when it is and how it goes. Thanks for all of your support. We have so many friends who have been beside us through all of this and we couldn't have done this without the help from our Father in Heaven as well as all of you right by our sides. Thanks so much.
3 comments:
Josh is as cute and sweet as ever. He looks so happy in his little walker. We'd love to come and see you sometime. My parents lives in southern VA, so when we go down to Virginia, we usually just drive straight down 81 and don't even come within an hour's drive of springfield. When we make our next trip to DC, we'll be sure to give you a call! It's so great to peek in on you guys and see how you're doing!
It is amazing to read these words coming from the same woman who found out about her baby's fate in the winter of 2007. I remember how scared you were, how unsure you were if you had what it took to handle everything that would come...
You have grown so much, and are doing such an incredible job. I know that it must be stressful sometimes (probably mostly the part about worrying about him), but you are such a great example of a woman of faith who loves her children no matter what package they come in, one who does whatever it takes to give them the best. You are an inspiration...
I can't believe Josh is going to be two in May! We can't wait to see you guys in June!
Josh is such a trooper -- such a miracle and a joy with an angel face. What a blessing in your life. I'm so glad things are going so well with him. He'll be walking in no time -- that's great that they have that wonderful walker to help him tone his muscles. I'm sure you are so very greatful for all of the medical advances and technical advances that make it so your little boy can live such a great life.
Post a Comment